Win 8.1 64bit, simple zip install doesn't work on XAMPP or WAMP

Out of curiosity, could you try the regular Grav ZIP with PHP 5.4 rather than PHP 5.5? Also did you try any of the skeleton packages we have (blog, one-page site, shop) rather than the base grav install? That could help isolate what happened here. Thanks!

I’m using winmerge right now to isolate code differences between the getgrav.org .zip and the github install.

There are lots of differences and updates, but nothing that should effect your installation specifically. Like I said, Grav itself was not your issue. Your webserver was not even serving the Grav index.php file.

If I created my own index.php in its place it worked fine.

Anyhow, for anyone else having issue, just grab the latest bits from github and it works fine.

Since the updated code works fine, I’d lean towards it being a grav code issue rather than a system configuration issue. All other factors held constant.

And again, both xampp and wamp had the same issue. :-/

Ryan Pierson, did you download the exact same grav .zip I did from getgrav.org for your Win 8.1 tests (available 9/13/14)? It could just be that particular build of the .zip distrib got messed up or something. The latest github bits work great. :slight_smile:

I used the big “Download Grav” button on getgrav.org. shrug

Okay, it seems to be something within /user.

In an attempt to locate the code problem, I created a 3rd directory off of /htdocs … /htdocs/grav-third.

I copied /htdocs/grav-develop to /htdocs/grav-third since this is a working starting point.

I then replaced one directory at a time until it stopped working (from the .zip install).

/system replacement still worked. /vendors replacement still worked.

When I replaced /users from the .zip install in place of the /users from the github install, the issue started again…

Hope this helps.

What’s under your user/themes and user/plugins folder? Do you have antimatter, error and problems?

w00fz, everything is default. Didn’t touch anything. I just wanted to play with grav. :slight_smile:

In my testing with XAMPP i used the grav ZIP file that is linked with the big button on the downloads: https://github.com/getgrav/grav/releases/download/0.9.1/grav-v0.9.1.zip

This one worked fine for me. Also this Skeleton:

https://github.com/getgrav/grav-skeleton-onepage-site/releases/download/0.9.1/grav-skeleton-onepage-site-v0.9.1.zip

Did you ever try PHP 5.4??

Andy,

I have found the exact line that causes the issue.

/user/config/system.yaml

assets:
css_pipeline is set to true on the .zip install.
css_pipeline is set to false on the github install.

Simply switching this from false to true causes XAMP/WAMP to no longer work.

Good luck. :slight_smile:

If I reset it to true, doesn’t work. Back to false, works. Back to true, doesn’t work. Etc etc etc…

All is default of what though? The GitHub clone or the Download zip? They are two very different packages. If you cloned from GitHub, composer update is not enough, you need to run bin/grav install, hence me asking if you have plugins and themes under user/plugins and user/themes. If it’s empty you need to run bin/grav install. If you installed using the website, through the Download button, then it already contains the vendor folder and the plugins and theme required.

w00fz: read last message, I localized the issue to the exact configuration setting in system.yaml.

With all due respect w00fz you are pointing out things already covered in this thread.

Very simple: turn the CSS pipeline on. Breaks. Turn it off, works.

I went into the .zip install that’s been broken all morning and turned the CSS pipeline off in system.yaml. It now works.

The reason the .zip didn’t work and the github install did, is as stated, the .zip has the pipeline turned on by default while the github install does not. If I manually turn the css pipeline off in the .zip install, it works fine.

Can you check your error logs then? What error are you getting when it’s on?

Andy, to cover all of the bases you’ve requested, I replaced PHP 5.5 with PHP 5.4 on my XAMP install and encountered the same issue. However, the fix remains: if I turn off CSS pipelining in user/config/system.yaml, it starts working again. Set it to true, fails.

Okay, did one more test for you to rule out XAMPP/WAMP.

I downloaded the latest Apache 2.4.10 Win32 build from apachelounge.com.
I then downloaded the latest PHP 5.6.0 build from windows.php.net.
I then configured PHP manually in httpd.conf for Apache 2.4.
I turned on the GD extension for PHP.

I then redownloaded a fresh copy of the .zip download from getgrav.org and extracted it to /htdocs.

I then encountered the exact same problem. I then once again set css_pipeline to false in user/config/system.yaml, and it once again works.

Thanks for doing all this testing, it definitely seems to be the CSS pipelining. However, the fact remains that even with the pipeline on it works for me on XAMPP for windows, and that’s going to make it very hard to work out what exactly in the pipeline process is causing the problem. Are you sure there are no error logs at all that might give us a clue as to what is failing for you?