Win 8.1 64bit, simple zip install doesn't work on XAMPP or WAMP

Yes! I renamed index.php to test.php and received the following: Sshot7

Cut & Paste of results:

Issues Found

Please Review and Resolve before continuing…

Reload Page

Your PHP version (5.5.15) is greater than the minimum required: 5.4.0

PHP GD (Image Manipulation Library) is installed

C:\xampp\htdocs\grav/index.php does not exist

C:\xampp\htdocs\grav/cache exists and is writeable

C:\xampp\htdocs\grav/logs exists and is writeable

C:\xampp\htdocs\grav/images exists and is writeable

C:\xampp\htdocs\grav/assets exists and is writeable

C:\xampp\htdocs\grav/system exists

C:\xampp\htdocs\grav/user/data exists and is writeable

C:\xampp\htdocs\grav/user/pages exists

C:\xampp\htdocs\grav/user/config exists

C:\xampp\htdocs\grav/user/plugins/error exists

C:\xampp\htdocs\grav/user/plugins exists

C:\xampp\htdocs\grav/user/themes exists

C:\xampp\htdocs\grav/vendor exists

That lets us know that the index.php file works since that’s what is supposed to happen if something is missing (like index.php). I did some quick research and found that some WAMP/XAMPP users are having issues with apache not recognizing index.php files properly.

Rhuk is also looking into it, but if I can find a solution separately I’ll pass it along.

Sorry for the delay, i’m on a Mac and had to go through some hoops to get a windows VM working again. Anyway, I have Windows 7 Enterprise, installed latest XAMPP, just started Apache. Downloaded Grav, extracted it, and then moved the grav/ folder into c:\xampp\htdocs\ and it worked just fine. PHP 5.5

IE10 - Win7 - Parallels Desktop 2014-09-13 12-14-36 2014-09-13 12-17-06

And PHP info:

IE10 - Win7 - Parallels Desktop 2014-09-13 12-17-40 2014-09-13 12-17-41

I have no clue how/why this is not working for you. :frowning:

Ryan, index.php is working fine otherwise. I created another test folder off of htdocs with an index.php, loads fine, see screenshot. Sshot8

Not sure either, rhukster … I’m win 8.1 64 bit with fresh default installs of XAMPP/WAMP/GRAV. I can’t imagine I’d be the only one to hit the issue. :frowning:

I’m trying a git grav-dev + composer install now. One moment.

Well this is definitely the first time we have heard of an issue on Windows. Do you have any security software installed that could be interfering?

Nope. Just did a git clone + composer install and received the following:

“Theme ‘antimatter’ does not exist, unable to display page.”

Checked your docs, executing php -f bin\grav install now. One moment.

Well you do need to run that bin\grav install command when you install from GitHub. That will install the depedncies, such as AntiMatter theme.

Right. I’m trying a github install as an alternative to see if it works. :slight_smile: One sec.

Success guys!

I went to https://github.com/getgrav/grav and downloaded a .zip. I extracted to c:\xampp\htdocs\grav-develop. I then ran composer install. I then ran php -f bin\grav install. I then loaded localhost/grav-develop and voila, works (see screenshot).

Conclusion: the .zip download you’re pushing on getgrav.org is busted. Sshot10

Hope this helps others somehow. I can’t wait to jump into the project and play with it. :slight_smile: I’ll report other stuff as I find it.

Glad you got it working, but we’ve had many downloads of the ZIP, and I even just downloaded it and installed it on XAMPP just fine. So really am not sure why it didn’t work for you, but it definitely seems to be something related to your system, or configuration, or even your extraction utility.

Like I said your the first to report any problem such as this. We will definitely keep an eye on it though, so thanks for working through this with us.

BTW, make sure you install APC, XCache, or something for a HUGE boost in performance.

The github install worked fine. I would think that would rule out a system/configuration issue since grav is now running with the latest bits. I used the same extraction utility for the github zip as I did for the getgrav.org zip.

Being the first to report an issue doesn’t negate the issue. :slight_smile: These were all default installs on a plain vanilla Win 8.1 install.

Not saying its not an issue, just that we were unable to replicate it on two other installs, nor has it been reported by anyone else. A strange one for sure.

On the plus side, this Muut forum worked pretty well for some realtime interaction while we tried to sort out the issue, so that’s pretty cool :slight_smile:

It could be that others have hit the issue and, like I almost did, figured it’s beta and would try again later … but I really wanted to play with grav today.