UPloaded, now what?

I have just really gotten into building websites. I have unzipped grav on desktop (windows 11) and uploaded to the /var/www/html (root?) folder. I could not find a way to unzip it on Ubuntu 24 so unzipped it on the desktop and uploaded the folder “grav.” Worked like a charm using sftp for the first time. I cannot bring the website up and, actually, did not expect to as this is my first try. Unzipping on the server is brand spanking new to me as is Grav itself. I am curious how to unzip it or what I need to do on the server itself to make grav work. Any help is greatly appreciated as I am just beginning to work with Grav at seventy-six and still going strong. Anth.

Define “cannot bring the website up”

Thank you for contacting me. I began by using Option 1 here: Installation | Grav Documentation. My particular server would not take the installation of “unzip” but the instructions say to unzip the Grav and admin files once uploaded to the server. I am using Ubuntu 24 Noble to try this using Hetzner as hosting. The only way I could figure out that this would work is to unzip Grav with admin on my desktop and then upload files and folders to the server which I did. Therefore, I could not bring the grav up on the URL I installed it on to complete installation. That is what I meant. I am not a programmer but a retired photographer trying to learn how to read and act upon code to make websites. I hope this clarifies what I meant and thanks again for responding.

Yes you can unzip on your desktop and upload files to your web root. Do you have a single Grav folder now in your web root or all the files and folders of Grav (like bin, user, system, etc.)? If you have just /var/www/html/grav/..., then it should be accessible on www.yourdoma.in/grav

Thank you so much for your response! Appreciated. If I don’t want a subdomain such as “grav” is there a way to just place it in /var/www/html/? I have it uploaded now so it is ready to go. I could not figure out a way to access it after uploading it before which is why I asked here. All I got was my host’s page which means it uploaded successfully but how to bring “Grav” start page onto my computer screen was the other question. I had researched at length how this was done but that was a can of worms as to how it could be done.

Not sure I understand if you figured it out :slightly_smiling_face: Does it work now? If my explanation helped and that’s exactly what happened, you can mark the answer as a solution