On what strengths was Spectre.css chosen for as the base of the Quark theme?

@rhuk @OleVik I’m about to create a theme from scratch (mostly) to familiarise myself with Grav’s objects etc. I’m not just going to bash the whole thing out by hand, so am looking at frameworks.

Does Spectre.css synergise with Grav particularly well for some reason/s? Would love to know how you arrived at the decision to use it.

I did not code anything in the Quark-theme, but Grav is entirely independent of CSS frameworks. Spectre, in my opinion, is a good choice because of high lightweight it is. It delivers crisp, good looking components without the overhead of trying to support a wide array of them. It also follows the modern trend of “less is more” in that regard, where there is a preference for good, simple standards rather than a lot of default styles.

Agreed Spectre looks nice to use. To be fair, almost every other CSS framework seems to be lightweight and modern these days ha.

You start looking at Bulma then Spectre, which gets you thinking about Pure, at which point you wonder if you could just put together a grid layout… Come to think of it, do I even really need styles and components for a throwaway test theme? /tangent

Thanks for taking the time to chime in!

Arguably, modern browser standards alleviate a lot of the fallbacks in CSS frameworks. Grids, for example, can easily be achieved with flex- or grid-properties.

I think you’ve nailed the take away here. I’m giving Milligram a try but using my own CSS grid layout and in the same way, it’s not so much that Spectre is special but that is does what you need while getting out of the way. Thanks again.