Convey that a modular needs a custom variable

Hi guys, I’m trying to make a theme for Grav. There is a particular modular that I’m working on atm, that is a giant countdown clock. When a theme user adds this modular to his page, he should input a date in the future, and the clock will count down towards that date on the page.

The way I’ve done it in my proof of concept prototype is that I add a custom header variable to the page, and I reference that variable in the modular template. It works, but I hate it, because only I know how to make it work. If a stranger were to download my theme, they would’ve never guessed what to do. Is there a way that I can make it friendlier to the end-user? Like give a hint or add an extra field to the page content editor for this particular modular so that the user knows what to do without inspecting my templates?

maybe use modular blueprint, so users can input date etc and you can add description field to explain, no need to go to expert mode or inspect your twig

@dimitrilongo
I don’t know how I missed that entire section in the documentation. This is exactly what I meant, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Also please look at the Antimatter theme as it has some good examples of blueprints/modular you can use as reference.