Updated admin plugin, now website crashes

I updated the Admin plugin but after this my website doesn’t work anymore. Every page I try just throws a HTTP500 error. I managed to login using FTP and found an error log with a repeating error message:

0 /home/sjjpzzkw/public_html/system/src/Grav/Common/Plugins.php(42): Grav\Common\Plugins->loadPlugin('form')
#1 /home/sjjpzzkw/public_html/system/src/Grav/Common/Grav.php(423): Grav\Common\Plugins->__construct(Object(Grav\Common\Grav))
#2 /home/sjjpzzkw/public_html/vendor/pimple/pimple/src/Pimple/Container.php(118): Grav\Common\Grav->Grav\Common\{closure}(Object(Grav\Common\Grav))
#3 /home/sjjpzzkw/public_html/system/src/Grav/Common/Config/CompiledBlueprints.php(59): Pimple\Container->offsetGet('plugins')
#4 /home/sjjpzzkw/public_html/system/src/Grav/Common/Config/CompiledBlueprints.php(36): Grav\Common\Config\CompiledBlueprints->getTypes()
#5 /home/sjjpzzkw/public_html/system/src/Grav/Common/Config/CompiledBase.php(210): Grav\Common\Config\CompiledBlueprints->checksum()
#6 /home/sjjpzzkw/public_html/system/src/Grav in /home/sjjpzzkw/public_html/system/src/Grav/Common/Plugins.php on line 201
[25-Oct-2018 18:33:24 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught exception 'RuntimeException' with message 'Plugin 'form' class not found! Try reinstalling this plugin.' in /home/sjjpzzkw/public_html/system/src/Grav/Common/Plugins.php:201

What can I do to restore my website?
Why did this happen in the first place and should I avoid updating plugins in the future using the admin interface?

Okay, I did what the error message said and it seems to have solved the problem; I downloaded a fresh copy of GRAV and just replaced the /user/plugins/form folder.

I still don’t trust GRAV’s update functionality but at least my website is back again.

I still don’t trust GRAV’s update functionality

Without understanding what the reason for your problems was, this is fair enough. For what it’s worth, in maybe two years I’ve never had problems upgrading anything, though I expect the occasional issue and have a process to ensure it won’t be disastrous when it happens. And of course, Grav being simply files, these problems are pretty simple to isolate and recover from.

What is your development process? If you are actually using FTP, you’re missing out on much more robust and simple (once set up) development/escalation options that are possible with a file-based CMS. For my user folder, I use git. The exceptions are plugins and themes that come from the official repos. These are upgraded either through the Admin plugin or command line. The important part that protects me is that I have a local development environment and a staging server (almost identical setup to production) that I try these upgrades on before escalating live.

If your web host makes some of these things difficult for you (e.g. no SSH access, no git, no free staging environment), there are plenty of better ones.

Good luck.

1 Like