Update fetch failed

Hello, Just saw this today, got the same error on two sites and with both Firefox and chrome

Is there some update I need to do manually?

Thank you.

I just checked for updates successfully.

You don’t mention what time interval your fetch problems spanned. It might have been your DNS/connectivity at the time or a temporary outage on the Grav repository server.

All I can say is that it works for me here now and it generally does, although there have (rarely) been outages in the past.

Thank you for checking, I am still getting the error over 24 H later :frowning:

Cool, well it looks like the problem is in your setup somewhere. It’s usually best when you are requesting help to provide lots of detail so that we don’t have to make guesses back and forth. We’re volunteers here.

What have you tried? What is your level of expertise? What is your platform/setup?

You did mention trying different browsers. I’d be very surprised if that is a factor in this issue.

Another suggestion though: can you see the URL your updates are failing to fetch? Do you know another way to try retrieving that? What about through your browser or curl if you know that? Not as a workaround, but as a way of diagnosing where your issue is.

1 Like

@SimonJ, To complement @hughbris suggestions/questions:

You said:

got the same error on two sites

• Are these all the sites you manage, or do you also manage sites that do not exhibit the error?
    • If not all sites exhibit the issue, what are commonalities between the two failing sites?
    • What are the differences between the failing and non-failing sites?
  • What has changed since last time you logged in?
    • Has the OS been upgraded?
    • Has Grav or any of its themes/plugins been upgraded?
    • What is the version being used?
  • What have you been doing during the session in which the error occurs?
  • Are there any errors in the console of the browser?
  • Are there any errors in the log file of Grav, or in the log files of Apache?
  • What is the remainder of the error message being displayed?
  • Are these all the sites you manage, or do you also manage sites that do not exhibit the error?

Yes only two and both show the same error

• If not all sites exhibit the issue, what are commonalities between the two failing sites?
  • What are the differences between the failing and non-failing sites?
  • What has changed since last time you logged in?

I moved to another server.

• Has the OS been upgraded?
  • Has Grav or any of its themes/plugins been upgraded?

Everything is fully upgraded prior to the update error

• What is the version being used?

Grav v1.7.43 - Admin v1.10.43 - was made with by Trilby Media.

• What have you been doing during the session in which the error occurs?

I have moved server on both sites, not sure what that could cause, nothing in the error logs

• Are there any errors in the console of the browser?

Nothing so far.

• Are there any errors in the log file of Grav, or in the log files of Apache?

No Grav errors and I have yet to check server log files sorry, been busy with work.

• What is the remainder of the error message being displayed?

The error is in the admin panel plugin and is a pop up and I cannot get it stay long enough to read, I cannot copy it either as it is not staying long enough to copy.

Sorry, I really thought it would be a general problem. I will go through the logs soon.

I think this is the whole message, seems a lot though

{“status”:“success”,“payload”:{“resources”:{“total”:1,“plugins”:{“form”:{“name”:“Form”,“version”:“7.2.1”,“description”:“Enables forms handling and processing”,“description_html”:“Enables forms handling and processing</p>”,“description_plain”:“Enables forms handling and processing”,“icon”:“check-square”,“author”:{“name”:“Team Grav”,“url”:“https://getgrav.org”,“email”:“devs@getgrav.org”},“dependencies”:[{“name”:“grav”,“version”:“>=1.7.41”}],“homepage”:“https://github.com/getgrav/grav-plugin-form”,“keywords”:“plugin, form”,“bugs”:“https://github.com/getgrav/grav-plugin-form/issues”,“license”:“MIT”,“tag_name”:“7.3.0”,“date”:“2023-12-14T19:29:12Z”,“release_type”:“stable”,“zipball_url”:“https://getgrav.org/download/plugins/form/7.3.0”,“repository”:“https://github.com/getgrav/grav-plugin-form”,“slug”:“form”,“install_path”:“user/plugins/form”,“changelog”:{“7.3.0”:{“date”:“12/14/2023”,“content”:“1. \n * Added XHR/Ajax form submission as an option in the form blueprint. See Learn Forms for details.”},“7.2.2”:{“date”:“12/13/2023”,“content”:“1. \n * Add inline errors for file field. Useful in combination with form: no-validate: true form setting.\n * Validate filename against uploads_dangerous_extensions when using the save: action\n1. \n * Cleared ‘basic captcha’ value when invalid”},“7.2.1”:{“date”:“06/27/2023”,“content”:“1. \n * Added some optional debug output to help isolate form loading problems\n1. \n * More robust fix for multi-language form caching”},“7.2.0”:{“date”:“06/21/2023”,“content”:“1. \n * Fixed a long-standing bug with cached forms not working properly in multi-language scenarios”},“7.1.3”:{“date”:“05/09/2023”,“content”:“1. \n * Removed FILTER_SANITIZE_STRING input filter in favor of htmlspecialchars(strip_tags()) \n * Fixed a deprecated message when using Route::_toString()\n * Require Grav v1.7.41 as it contains GRAV_SANITIZE_STRING constant”},“7.1.2”:{“date”:“01/08/2023”,“content”:“1. \n * Fixes issue with multiplication type BasicCaptcha Math Captcha #587”},“7.1.1”:{“date”:“11/29/2022”,“content”:“1. \n * Fix missing blueprint entries for Turnstile configuration #583”},“7.1.0”:{“date”:“11/16/2022”,“content”:“1. \n * Added Cloudflare’s turnstile captcha integration documentation”},“7.0.2”:{“date”:“10/05/2022”,“content”:“1. \n * Fix for modular form definitions at root-level (useful for storing shared forms)”},“7.0.1”:{“date”:“09/20/2022”,“content”:“1. \n * Provided some basic CSS styling for new captcha field”},“7.0.0”:{“date”:“09/20/2022”,“content”:“1. \n * Added a new custom basic-captcha option with character and math puzzles. No 3rd-part service required.”},“6.0.4”:{“date”:“08/08/2022”,“content”:“1. \n * Added attributes to field #573”},“6.0.3”:{“date”:“05/05/2022”,“content”:“1. \n * Regression: Fixed broken addForm() method”},“6.0.2”:{“date”:“05/02/2022”,“content”:“1. \n * Fixed forms({ route: '\/forms\/_myform' }) not finding form from non-routable pages (second try)”},“6.0.1”:{“date”:“04/25/2022”,“content”:“1. \n * Improved prepare_form_field() twig method to include plain_name\n1. \n * Fixed columns and column fields with .dotted variables inside to ignore columns and column names\n * Fixed forms({ route: '\/forms\/_myform' }) not finding forms from non-routable pages”},“6.0.0”:{“date”:“03/28/2022”,“content”:“1. \n * Added log warning when trying to access form by non-unique name\n * Optimized form caching by not initializing the forms in onPageProcessed event anymore\n * BACKWARD COMPATIBILITY: As form initialization has been delayed, logic relaying on onPageProcessed with forms may not work anymore\n1. \n * Fixed select field where option is iterable (#558)\n * Fixed FormPlugin::getForm() to properly search the current page first\n * Fixed FormPlugin::getForm() to ignore fallback if the page was given as parameter\n * Fixed dynamic forms to work with cache turned on\n * Fix nested toggleable: originalValue now checks with ?? instead of is defined”},“5.1.7”:{“date”:“03/14/2022”,“content”:"1. \n * Added access support for buttons\n2. \n * Fixed tabs in the frontend to ensure JS is loaded\n "},“5.1.6”:{“date”:“02/07/2022”,“content”:“1. \n * Fixed Select field when using OptGroups, not allowing key/values #541\n * Support for translatable OptGroup labels in Select field #540”},“5.1.5”:{“date”:“01/24/2022”,“content”:“1. \n * Fixed case in selectize field where custom new entries would not be stored in non multiple lists”},“5.1.4”:{“date”:“11/16/2021”,“content”:"1. \n * Fixed buttons no

@SimonJ, Looks a bit like a dump of $ bin/gpm info form

I guess something went wrong while upgrading the Form plugin.

Try reinstalling the Form plugin: $ bin/gpm install form

Thank you, is there a simple way to do this without shell access as I do not have it?

@SimonJ, Try: Admin → Tools → Direct Install → Install Package via Remote Url Reference.

Use url https://getgrav.org/download/plugins/form/7.3.0

Thank you again, I did this and received a successful install and now the update error is just the comment with no text.

@SimonJ, That’s quite some progress!

Last suggestion:

• Check for updates
  • Clear Cache
  • Logout from Admin and login again.

I did this and also reset permissions as per

#!/bin/sh
chown -R joeblow:staff .
find . -type f -exec chmod 664 {} \;
find ./bin -type f -exec chmod 775 {} \;
find . -type d -exec chmod 775 {} \;
find . -type d -exec chmod +s {} \;