Migrating from Ghost CMS to Grav

I would like to migrate from Ghost CMS to Grav because of more flexibility and multi-language features but I cannot find a theme that works similar (two-column layout with blog articles on the left and widgets on the right side) as my current theme Mapache.

Another issue is the migration itself. I have exported all the content from Ghost to JSON and then used ghost-to-md to convert it markdown files but now I don’t how to use that output in a Grav friendly way.

Are there more information somewhere about these two topics?

@Peleke, Not sure what to think of this…

Your post on the Kirby forum, 1 hour ago:

I would like to migrate from Ghost CMS to Kirby because of more flexibility and multi-language features but I cannot find a theme that works similar (two-column layout with blog articles on the left and widgets on the right side) as my current theme Mapache.

Another issue is the migration itself. I have exported all the content from Ghost to JSON and then used ghost-to-md to convert it markdown files but now I don’t how to use that output in a Kirby friendly way.

Are there more information somewhere about these two topics?

Looks like forgot to replace names here :slight_smile:

Maybe he’s just deciding where to move, but simple copy paste feels like no research was done, because Kirby doesn’t even look similar :thinking:

Exactly I am looking for a flat file system CMS which I can move and modify easily and I am not sure yet if it should be Kirby or Grav, which seem to be the two best options in this category.

You’ll still have a lot to do. I doubt your .md files will be ready to use as they are (I assume at least title in frontmatter would need to be added). Also you’d still need to get a template (find one ready and extend it or develop your own).

I don’t think moving from one CMS to the other is easy in any case. Even with exporters

As I moved from Wordpress to Ghost some years ago I thought it would be easier nowadays.

It’s probably easier, but not easy :slight_smile:

switch CMS always depends on the data export / import functionality of the source/target CMSes, e.g., switch from Wordpress to Grav is relative easy as there exists an xml export for WP, and several WP Xml import methods for Grav - you can find these via search here.
for others (like Ghost), YMMV.

Maybe I migrate then to Wordpress first to then migrate to Grav?

if migrating from Ghost to WP is easy, then: yes.

switch CMS always depends on the data export / import functionality of the source/target CMSes, e.g., switch from Wordpress to Grav is relative easy as there exists an xml export for WP, and several WP Xml import methods for Grav - you can find these via search here.
for others (like Ghost), YMMV.

I’m actually looking for something to import my WP xml data, and haven’t come across anything here. Perhaps you can point me in the right direction? I want to move two WP sites over to Grav. Thanks.

Update:
Moved question to new topic: Import wordpress xml file to Grav