Breadcrumbs not showing on a modular page

Hi,

I have a few modular pages on my site. On those pages the breadcrumb menu is not shown, regardless if you put “show_breadcrumbs: true” on the main page or on the subpages or on both.

Am I doing anything wrong?

It seems I’m not the only one having this issue. A similar issue on GitHub hasn’t received answers in about a year: https://github.com/getgrav/grav-plugin-breadcrumbs/issues/9

Thanks in advance.

@marcocevoli I may have overlooked it, but in the modular template of Quark and ‘Open Publishing’ I cannot find ‘partials/breadcrumbs.html.twig’ being included anywhere…

And what is not included, will not be displayed…

The issue you are referring to on GitHub is a custom modular with ‘partials/breadcrumbs.html.twig’ being included.

When I include breadcrumbs into a modular, I can reproduce the issue. It is caused by css which causes modules to overlays the breadcrumb, leaving only a tiny margin for the home icon only.

Thanks. This goes probably beyond my limited skills with twigs and themes, so I’ll leave it to the theme owner(s).
:slight_smile:

What you could do as a quick-fix…

• Copy /user/themes/quark-open-publishing/templates/modular.html.twig into /user/themes/mytheme/templates/
  • Copy {% include 'partials/breadcrumbs.html.twig' %} in above template right below {% block body %}
  • In /user/themes/mytheme/css/custom.css add:
#breadcrumbs {
    position: relative;
    z-index: 1;
}

The breadcrumbs should now be visible, although it could use some extra styling…

Since the styling of Quark is quite ungraspable to me, I would like to ask @paulhibbitts if there is a better way of fixing this.

2 Likes

Hi @pamtbaau, my work with the inherited Quark Open Publishing theme is mostly about support for Git Sync and ‘chromeless’ content display with minimal CSS tweaks - your solution looks reasonable to me🙂

@marcocevoli I think you may forget about my post #4

Have a look at the top ‘feature’ module of the page you are having difficulties with. In the standard QOP skeleton it will be /user/pages/03.modular-page/02.highlights/features.md.

In the frontmatter of that page is the following field defined: 'class: offset-box'.
If you comment that line out, breadcrumbs will be visible.

The ‘offset-box’ has the effect of moving the content of the ‘/templates/modular/features.html.twig’ template upwards. When moved upwards, it partly (-3rem) overlays the element above it.

Normally it would nicely overlay the hero-image. In your case it overlays the breadcrumb…

1 Like