Admin: Missing Blog & Item tabs in Bootstrap4 theme

For some time now, in new GRAV installations (basic installation with admin + Bootstrap4 theme) with activated Bootstrap4 theme, the “Blog List” tab is no longer displayed on the pages with the “Blog” template and the “Blog Item” tab on the pages with the “Item” template.
Is this only the case for me? Thank you for support.

If you don’t get a satisfactory answer here (depends if someone here is experienced with that theme), try creating an issue in the Github repo of that theme. Make sure you search open and closed issues first! Good luck.

@idna, Unfortunately, I can reproduce the issue.

Trying to find the root cause:

• Using Bootstrap4 skeleton
    • Upgraded Grav and all plugins/themes
      • A lot of exceptions were thrown, but in the end it works
    • In Admin, extra blog tabs are available
  • Using Blog skeleton + installation of theme Bootstrap 4
    • In Admin, no extra blog tabs.
    • Remove folder /user/pages
    • Copy folder /user/pages from Bootstrap4 skeleton
    • Remove folder /user/themes
    • Copy folder /user/themes from Bootstrap4 skeleton
    • Remove folder /user/plugins
    • Copy folder /user/plugins from Bootstrap4 skeleton
    • Remove folder /config
    • Copy folder /config from Bootstrap4 skeleton
    • In Admin, extra blog tabs available.

It appears that theme Bootstrap4 has compatibility issues with Yaml. Run bin/grav yamllinter and see the list of issues.

Solution:

• Add the following to system.yaml
    strict_mode:
      yaml_compat: true

I’m guessing that you are experiencing the issue since you started using fresh Grav 1.7 installations. See the Grav 1.7 Upgrade Guide which mentions Getting errors about invalid YAML.

It would have saved me some time if I knew it happened after starting using Grav 1.7 as this is a known issue.

Thank you, pamtbaau, I really appreciate your competent and always friendly help. I too have spent some time trying to find the cause, but unfortunately my range of search strategies is limited. And I thaught to speak from “new installations” would be clear.

@idna, Let’s agree that “For some time now, in new GRAV installations” can be ambiguous… :wink:

I interpreted it as “My recent (since a month or so) installations (of Grav 1.7) show a problem whereas previous (Grav 1.7) installations did not.”

Next time I’ll try to be more precise. But I can’t give any guarantees :grin: