Should rename "Skeleton-packages"

IMHO, the name “Skeleton-packages” could be better. To me, Skeleton implies that this is a bare bones install with the minimum amount required to run grav. As a new user I assumed that’s what it was, only later realizing this was some preset package

Hello,

One can argue that the name is not explicit enough, but the problem is that you assumed things without reading.

The website is pretty clear:

The Grav Base package contains the core functionality plus a single page to get you started. For more full-featured setups, check out our various skeleton packages.

full-featured setups

Then, when you click on the link for the skeleton packages:

A Grav skeleton is an all-in-one package containing the core Grav system plus sample pages, plugins, configuration. These packages are a great way to get started with Grav .

You’re of course right I did assume but that’s part of my point, I don’t think it’s a great name. A great name might not even need the extra explanation of what it is.

Also even that description “A Grav skeleton is an all-in-one…” seems contradictory, a skeleton includes everything? That goes against the natural meaning of the word skeleton

I agree and this applies to a few Grav concepts. Literal people like us often struggle to overcome the natural semantic implications of inaccurate terms like this. Doesn’t help us learn.

I also think many skeletons (possibly for this reason) are little more than themed installs. Skeletons should be functionality based or skin based, not either.

:man_shrugging:

Even if I read your discussion and see the description I don’t understand it because I access it from a different point of view. What it the online thing? I need that for building homepages for friends who want to access it like an online CMS. Probably only the grav plus admin module? But I`m advised to start with a skeleton? You don’t need to explain that now I just wanted to point out the problem of understanding the names and description.