Observations about GRAV themes/skeletons

I’ve been digging into GRAV on and off for six or so months. There have been some big hurdles as far as trying to figure out what can be edited through the admin plugin and then what has to be edited by hand in the config files. YAML and TWIG are starting to make sense, though.

One of my groans about the themes and skeletons available for GRAV is that none of them seem to have it all together. That is, maybe one theme has a great responsive css framework, but it’s lacks SEO and good UI flow. Other themes are fairly decent with SEO but lack good responsiveness.

Then there are the handful of themes that have good SEO and responsiveness but lack aesthetic flow in their UI.

I’m working on my 2nd Grav experiment - replacing my personal music WP site with GRAV. I’m finding that every good responsive theme I’m experimenting with is forcing me to build new stuff to handle basic SEO like open graph, twitter, and microdata.

What do you think this disconnect is a result of? Is it that computer engineers don’t understand UI or web developers don’t understand SEO or something el se? Obviously the developers have spent a ton of time on some of these themes, yet they are still missing the in depth functionality or SEO that would make them winners.

It’s not just GRAV, either, most ecommerce platforms I work with suffer the same kinds of deficiencies in their themes. The only upside to wordpress is that some of the themes are very good on SEO and UI… but still, they suffer from the stench of WP bloat.

Isn’t this exactly what commercial themes offer? RocketTheme recently started to sell premium themes for Grav.
Note, I haven’t looked at those themes so I can not say anything about UI flow and SEO, and for the record, I am not affiliated to RocketTheme in any way :slight_smile:

@scotsscripts
I’m working on my 2nd Grav experiment – replacing my personal music WP site with GRAV. I’m finding that every good responsive theme I’m experimenting with is forcing me to build new stuff to handle basic SEO like open graph, twitter, and microdata.

I don’t think you have to build new stuff to handle basic seo. The metadata fields allows you to add opengraph, twitter, facebook, google plus and so on.

For microdata, you have to manually implement it indeed. I don’t know how you would do that with wordpress, but I think it is quite an easy process with Grav.

You can also buy any html template on any theme marketplace and plug grav on it, if you don’t find anything suitable in the theme/skeleton section.

@scotsscripts, what do you mean by some themes / skeletons lacking SEO?