Grav.user.username twig variable not substituting in destination field in frontmatter

Greetings,

as per header {{grav.user.usrename}} does not seem to substitute in the destination field for upload in frontmatter. When examining via the debugger, the variable does appear correctly.

title: Home
access:
site.login: true
admin.login: true
process:
twig: true
form:
name: upload
fields:
upload:
label: upload Label
type: file
destination: ‘user/data/{{ grav.user.username }}’
multiple: true
accept:
- image/*

A folder is created but it is created in the form of:

/user/data/{{grav.user.username}}

Is this a bug, or does someone have a suggestion?

Hi @GavinTomlins, welcome to the Grav Forum.

Grav is capable of processing Twig in the page frontmatter. The setting for that is either in the Admin Plugin: set Process frontmatter Twig to On in the Content section of the System Configuration or enable it in the user/config/system.yaml configuration file like this:

pages:
    frontmatter:
        process_twig: true

Then destination: ‘user/data/{{ grav.user.username }}’ in your page content will happily be processed and results in showing “user/data/john” in the page assuming your logged in user’s username is “john”.

However, unfortunately the processing of Twig in the frontmatter is not the same. For some reason it seems more limited. I tried using the Twig join filter to concatenate the two strings like so:

path = '{{ [user/data/, grav.user.username]|join }}'

The result is path == "john". It seems that Twig does not consider user/data/ as being a string literal. As it is not quoted this is not that strange, though I can’t believe user/data/ is a valid variable name. It seems Twig simply ignores user/data/ at all.
The sad thing is that you can’t use whatever quotes as they will always result in an “Invalid frontmatter” error.

I can’t think of any other way then using a custom plugin. If you want to go that route have a look at the Add Page by Form Plugin for inspiration as it shows how to change the upload destination.

Hi @bleutzinn, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, it still doesn’t work.

I have tried the following if anyone has alternative suggestions

frontmatter.yaml in the home folder:

frontmatter:

Enabled frontmatter in system.yaml

frontmatter:

Enabled in form.md

---
  title: Home
  access:
     site.login: true
     admin.login:true
  process:
        twig: true
        twig_first:true

form:
  name:upload
  fields:
      upload:
        label: upload Label
        type: file
        destination: 'user/{{ grav.user.username }}'
        multiple: true
        accept:
        - image/*

buttons:
      upload:
        type: upload
        value: Upload

process: 
      userinfo: true 
  ---

Username works correctly in debug but not in the field upload.

assdf

grav3_foldernotworking

I’ve also noticed anomalies in the page when debugging and think it might be associated with page cache. Notice how the username isn’t pulled through.

No anomalies I’m afraid. It’s a feature, not a bug.