Digital Ocean LAMP stack - blank page

Trying to get up & running Grav on Digital Ocean and their LAMP stack feat Ubuntu. Keep getting blank screen.
I guess I am missing some dependences or its a permission issue - any hints?

My PHP - PHP 5.5.9-1ubuntu4.17

P.S. You have a lovely guide for for NGINX, are you planning to make one for Apache too?

Not really planning on doing an Apache version because Nginx is superior to Apache in almost every way (except ability for Apache to use .htaccess).

If you are getting a blank page however, then most likely it’s a PHP configuration error. You might of missed one of the required packages. Need to look in your apache error log, but more likely the culprit will be displayed in your PHP error_log

Log from /var/log/apache2/error.log :

[Sat Jun 04 14:27:47.251611 2016] [:error] [pid 26020] [client 171.38.23.236:52117] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught exception 'RuntimeException' with message 'Creating directory '/var/www/html/focusasia.xyz/cache/compiled/files' failed on error mkdir(): Permission denied' in /var/www/html/focusasia.xyz/vendor/rockettheme/toolbox/File/src/File.p hp:400
Stack trace:
#0 /var/www/html/focusasia.xyz/vendor/rockettheme/toolbox/File/src/File.p hp(195): RocketTheme\\Toolbox\\File\\File->mkdir('/var/www/html/f...')
#1 /var/www/html/focusasia.xyz/vendor/rockettheme/toolbox/File/src/File.p hp(316): RocketTheme\\Toolbox\\File\\File->lock()
#2 /var/www/html/focusasia.xyz/vendor/rockettheme/toolbox/File/src/PhpFil e.php(31): RocketTheme\\Toolbox\\File\\File->save(Array)
#3 /var/www/html/focusasia.xyz/system/src/Grav/Common/File/CompiledFile.p hp(67): RocketTheme\\Toolbox\\File\\PhpFile->save(Array)
#4 /var/www/html/focusasia.xyz/system/src/Grav/Common/Config/Setup.php(16 3): Grav\\Common\\File\\CompiledYamlFile->content()
#5 /var/www/html /focusasia.xyz/system/src/Grav/Common/Grav.php(213): Grav\\Common\\Config\\Setup->init()
#6 /var/www/html/focusasia in /var/www/html/focusasia.xyz/vendor/rockettheme/toolbox/File/src/File.p hp on line 400

Seems like I am hitting similar permission issues I had on my localhost. But since this is production server, I should be more careful about what permissions I set for particular files. Also - not sure what owner/group should I put.

This blog post I wrote is for mac, but much of the same applies to any platform. Basically pay attention to the user/group stuff in httpd.conf

The user/group should be the same user/group of your files/folders. I would do the same thing as with the Nginx tutorial there and create a grav user.

Make sure you login with that user when you manipulate the files from the CLI.

Thanks! You made me switch to LEMP with PHP7. Are there any guides how to set up Grav on NGINX and PHP7.x.x? I just got running on Digital Ocean with nginx/1.10.0 and PHP 7.0.4-7 and about to install Grav =)

Not yet. I do plan on updating all the VPS guides with Ubuntu 16.04 and php7 soon.

I managed to install and run Grav! :smiley: