Building one theme on top of another

After creating a new theme using the streams setting on top of antimatter I stumbled upon a slight problem. It seems I cannot use custom SCSS files since they don’t seem to be compilable this way. Is this on purpose? Do I have to use standard custom css within a css folder or did I miss something here?

In addition I tried to change the #logo in the _header.scss,
disabling the // text-transform: uppercase;
How do I do that without changing the _header.scss?

Because scss is a server compiled thing, and it compiles multiple files into single ones, you would need to recompile any additional scss files for them to take effect.

You can setup a series of paths for the scss compiler to look in during the compilation, so it should be possible to create just a scss/template/_custom.scss file in your new child-theme and then it would use that during compilation. That way if you update Antimatter and it has some scss fixes, all you would need to do is recompile your custom theme’s scss to get those merged in with your custom scss file. I’ll have to get back to you with exact syntax on this as i’ve not tested it lately.

The other option is simple to provide a css/custom.css file in your theme. This is not included in Antimatter by default and wont get overridden. It will get automatically picked up by the theme however, so should work out-of-the-box.

How would I disable the uppercase for the title in the css? I already tried that, but it didn’t seem to have any effect.

Media | Demo2 2015-02-09 10-36-34

As you can see in the image of the inspector you would need to override this CSS so something like:

#header #logo h3 {
  text-transform: none !important;
}

Ah… The !important seems to be the important thing here :slight_smile:

Got it. Thanks

Well its CSS so you generally need more specificity to ensure it overrides, or use the !important although it is a bit of a dirty hack :slight_smile:

Why am I not suprised :slight_smile: As far as I’m concerned CSS is still a bit of a mess thrughout all the browsers.