Admin interface issue with UI texts (showing template strings)

I just upgraded Grav and all plugins to latest stable. Now the UI in the admin interface is messed up - I’m seeing template strings all over instead of the UI text:

How do I trouble-shoot this?

Clearing all caches and trying a different browser made no difference.

@ulfben, I suspect you didn’t upgrade using $ bin/gpm self-upgrade or Admin, which mitigates some breaking changes.

Have a look at the upgrade docs and especially the first point mentioned in Most Common Issues.

1 Like

Thanks! I did use the self-upgrade script, but your link provided the solution. I’ll update the thread with an answer.

From the “common errors” page:

Admin showing up with untranslated strings

If your admin is displaying with untranslated strings in the interface, it’s most likely because you have previously disabled Language Translations . This was buggy in previous versions of Grav and disabling it, didn’t actually disable translations throughout the admin as intended. This is fixed in Grav 1.7 and this setting is doing what it is intended to do, show the translation codes in uppercase rather than the translated strings themselves.

And the fix is described here:

Simply navigate to PLUGIN_ADMIN.CONFIGURATION and then in PLUGIN_ADMIN.LANGUAGES , set PLUGIN_ADMIN.LANGUAGE_TRANLATIONS to PLUGIN_ADMIN.YES :

2 Likes