500 Internal Server Error

Got a nice little error. Just uploaded the files. PHP version set to 5.5.6. All other systems are go. Have not yet gone through the install process.

http://anotherguy.us.s195372.gridserver.com/

Any way to get more information from the logs? Usually these errors are related to .htaccess configuration.

http://learn.getgrav.org/troubleshooting/internal-server-error

Also are you using the 0.9.2 ZIP package or github cloned files?

0.9.2 ZIP.

RewriteBase / has been added
.htaccess file exists and looks normal.

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

RewriteEngine On

##
# If you are getting 404 errors on subpages, you may have to uncomment the RewriteBase entry
# You should change the '/' to your appropriate subfolder. For example if you have
# your Grav install at the root of your site '/' should work, else it might be something
# along the lines of: RewriteBase /<your_sub_folder>
##

RewriteBase /

# Access site
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f 
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule .* index.php [L]

# Block various user files from being accessed directly
RewriteRule ^user/accounts/(.*)$ error [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^user/config/(.*)$ error [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^user/(.*)\.(txt|md|html|php|yaml|json|twig|sh|bat)$ error [R=301,L]

# Block cache/
RewriteRule ^cache/(.*) error [R=301,L]

# Block bin/
RewriteRule ^bin/(.*)$ error [R=301,L]

# Block system/
RewriteRule ^system/(.*)$ error [R=301,L]

# Block vendor/
RewriteRule ^vendor/(.*)$ error [R=301,L]

</IfModule>

# Prevent file browsing
Options -Indexes
---

What does it do if you comment out the RewriteBase ? Also what happens if you rename the entire .htaccess file so something like htaccess.backup that way it will definitely isolate the .htacess as the root cause.

Most likely there’s some command in there that your hosting provider is restricting.

Try checking your error_log file. It should contain some helpful information.

Your server is hosted at mediatemple I think, I have seen reports that adding +FollowSymLinks might be required so you could try changing the options to:

Options -Indexes +FollowSymLinks

Did all of the above, same error.
error_log:

[Tue Sep 16 12:21:18 2014] [error] [client 69.133.14.83] malformed header from script. Bad header=<br />: php-latest

When I change to php 5.3.27 from 5.5.6, I get the below error.

You are running PHP 5.3.27, but Grav needs at least PHP 5.4.0 to run.

Which makes sense. I think I read somewhere that the PHP version is the very first thing you check before doing anything else, but could 5.5.6 be causing issues?

Can you please double check that PHP is running properly and is > 5.4.0 by creating a temporary file called info.php with the content:

<?php phpinfo();

This will help confirm PHP is running correctly. Also you got the same internal error when you renamed .htaccess so that it was not picked up?

I think we’re getting somewhere now. I did some poking around, and found that register_globals in php.ini was on. Since this was removed from php 5.4, I had to remove that line from php.ini. I no longer get the Internal Error 500… instead I get this:

Warning: require(/nfs/c11/h01/mnt/195372/domains/anotherguy.us/html/vendor/trac y/tracy/src/shortcuts.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /nfs/c11/h01/mnt/195372/domains/anotherguy.us/html/vendor/composer/aut oload_real.php on line 48

Fatal error: require(): Failed opening required '/nfs/c11/h01/mnt/195372/domains/anotherguy.us/html/vendor/tracy/tracy /src/shortcuts.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php-5.5.6/share/pear') in /nfs/c11/h01/mnt/195372/domains/anotherguy.us/html/vendor/composer/aut oload_real.php on line 48

I assume this is now just a matter of permissions and such at this point. Or maybe I’ll just delete the install and do it fresh again, just to make sure that I have everything setup properly.

Yah it looks like that file is missing or is unreadable: /nfs/c11/h01/mnt/195372/domains/anotherguy.us/html/vendor/tracy/tracy /src/shortcuts.php

Most likely it was a bad/interrupted upload? That file is certainly provided in the ZIP package.

Great. I’ll just do a fresh upload just in case I’m missing anything else.

Spoke to soon, i see you have already addressed it and Grav is running! Wooohoo! Was there anything you had to do specifically? Can we improve anything to make this easier for others?

Yup! It’s all running now! I’ll give you some feedback here soon. Thanks for all of the help. Reminds me of the good-old Joomla days when 1.5 was getting started. :wink:

Great, BTW, if you want to create a blog you might be better off starting with our Blog Skeleton :

download: http://getgrav.org/downloads/skeletons#extras

demo: http://demo.getgrav.org/blog-skeleton/

Good call. Was just looking at that. Thanks again.

I have updated the troubleshooting docs based on your observations. Thanks!