WYSIWYG editor - really not available?

Personally, I don’t mind the markdown editor. I write almost everything in Byword which is markdown and on my WordPress sites I use a markdown plugin—which is unreliable. But for clients, I think they would much prefer a WYSIWYG editor or, even better, a front end editor like Medium. That said, I wouldn’t mind paying for the WYSIWYG editor because it would be helpful and provide even more value to me because it provides value to my clients. I really like Grav and as nice as free things are, you guys need to make some money from it or Grav goes away :frowning:

I really like using markdown but not having a simple WYSIWYG option limits who can use. For instance, we are thinking about using is a school environment and markdown will not fly.

Have replaced a few markdown editors with http://nicedit.com/ but I am still learning just how to use Grav, so way over my head at this point.

Please read the comments i’ve already made in this thread already. The vast majority of WYSIWYG editors (nicedit.com included) output HTML. While you can just write content in HTML in Grav, it’s not ideal for a flat file system for many reasons. One major reason being that a lot of people don’t use the admin or an editor at all and edit their content via simple text editors. This is where markdown shines. It also causes less errors and visual inconsistencies than HTML because it’s intentionally simpler and more restrictive.

FWIW, you don’t actually have to learn markdown to use Grav (even though it would take about 10 minutes to do so), because the editor we already have in the admin has a toolbar and keyboard bindings to let you do most of what markdown supports. I think adding a quick cheat-sheet in the editor page would be very useful too, so i’ll look to get that added soon.

This is a tetchy subject for some people clearly. I’m not going to be able to convince everyone that markdown is a better solution (even if it is) :slight_smile:

BTW here’s a quick 5 minute summary of markdown: https://www.remarq.io/articles/five-minutes-to-markdown-mastery/

Really nothing to it.

Btw something most of you probably haven’t realized. If you install any favorite Markdown application on your computer, with the closest functionality to a WYSIWYG, you can save the file and drag and drop the file into the Grav’s admin editor. I’m fact you can drag an drop any text file, including html.
The file will load right into the editor like magic.

Implementing a WYSIWYG editor is in our list for the admin pro. It’s not trivial like explained above, we just need to get to it.

There is a wysiwym editor which doesn’t generate html garbage but can output markdown

ProseMirror looks very good: Easy switching between WYSIWYG and Markdown source, editable tool sink/inline, elegant architecture, MIT licensed, easy styling.

Not sure if this is useful but looks like a feature rich markdown editor with line numbering and search replace options and more. https://pandao.github.io/editor.md/en.html

This looks interesting also. Color picker, Better image selection dialog box… still no sizing or alignment option though, table generator, preview and ability to switch between Markdown and WYSIWYG. https://nhnent.github.io/tui.editor/

Both the https://pandao.github.io/editor.md/en.html and https://nhnent.github.io/tui.editor/ editors are basically what we have already in the admin.

They are both code editors but not a true WYSIWYG markdown editors.

I realize they are very similar. I just linked them as they are markup editors still but a little more feature rich. The Toastui has an actual dialog box for selecting images which is what most clients will be used to, has a table maker without the need of an additional plugin and a color picker and option for a preview window.

A full featured WYSIWYG editor would be nice.

Our current editor is ‘extendable’ so it can be extended with plugins. We are doing this in a couple of plugins already, and there is room to ‘add’ pretty much anything you like.

Thanks, I did see the Editor Buttons plugin but have not played with it much yet.

As far as I have tried, grav-plugin-editor-buttons only can extend the default editor. It will be great if editor is also a plugin, so that developers can build their own plugins to provide their favorite editors. Clients don’t care if the pages are saved as HTML or Markdown, they only need a WYSIWYG editor so that they don’t need to write any code. There are 2 reasons most of my clients didn’t want to use Grav: they didn’t know what Grav was, the preferred something famous like Joomla, WordPress or Drupal (even if the development cost were higher very much); and they didn’t want to learn Markdown.

I was also ‘converting’ some of my clients to switch to Grav (from Drupal) for simpler projects … but after demo-ing how to edit pages they decided to not go with it just because they’re expecting a ‘friendlier’ wysiwyg :frowning:

I tend to agree. I think there are things that should be improved to make the editor more non-tech user friendly. I do see the benefits of markdown but a client will need a better image management system to size and align images and the ability to align and size text as well as set text colors.

That being said, I think in the short time Grav has been in development it has many great advantages over some of the more popular cms platforms. These other platforms have had many years to get to the point of where they are today. If they were perfect we would not be looking into finding and alternative. Many of the current platforms when first starting out were not near as polished as they are today and many things are added and improved on as a platform develops. For the most part, clients that cannot use the Grav editor today would not have been able to use the early editors in many of the other platforms either.

The Grav development team is top notch and I am confident from just looking at their roadmap for Grav that it will develop into an even more solid choice for a CMS.

This article from an interview Andy gave to ostraining.com states the Grav was in the late stages of beta and the article is dated Jan 13, 2015. Just for perspective as to how new Grav is and how far it has already come. https://www.ostraining.com/blog/general/grav-andy-miller/

There are some great changes coming to Grav with the addition of the Gantry framework and the Admin Pro plugin. Even though I am not currently building client themes with Grav, I am spending the time between now and the release of those updates to familiarize myself with Grav and to position myself in a place that I will be able to start using Grav for my new builds in the very near future. ( a month or so from now ).

indeed. I fully agree, Grav has evaded the attention of many and it feels like a few site-builders (devs, designers, etc) tend to appreciate is core strengths.

The community of the top 3 popular cms-es are currently busy dealing with hardening the codebase (security) and API-ing functionalities (rest / service-based architectures). These days clients are one shy away from asking us to ‘integrate’ one cms to another, pushing content from multiple endpoints.

Personally I hope (and believe) that Grav will be able to stand the test of the upcoming times. And perhaps we can all contribute to its growth soon enough.

I integrated Stackedit with Grav. It’s working fine on my dev instance but I still need a bit of extra-rounds to offer this to the community.

The integration needed:

• a substitution for the pages management in the admin plugin
  • hard work on stackedit to provide a standalone version and to include many extras

Regards.
uh

Studioeditor_stackedit_fullscreen Studioeditor_with_stackedit

And substitution of the pages management for the admin plugin is completely compatible with admin plugin: not even one line of the admin plugin changed :slight_smile: