Translation via Twig always fallback on English

Hi,

I’m creating multilang site with default language SR and EN, FR, DE supported also. I’m using twig translation filter (|t), all strings in twig templates are written in SR and I don’t have sr.yaml file. I choose this approach because there is not much content but some labels/tags etc…

Problem is that on all sr pages twig translates strings to EN. I suppose it does that because no sr.yaml language file is present since I don’t need to translate strings that are already in that language.

my config:

languages:
  supported:
    - sr
    - en
    - fr
    - de
  default_lang: sr
  include_default_lang: true
  include_default_lang_file_extension: true
  translations: true
  translations_fallback: false
  session_store_active: false
  http_accept_language: false
  override_locale: false
  content_fallback: {
    sr: sr
  }
  pages_fallback_only: false

Is this bad approach or there are some configs that I’m missing?? Thanks!!

@hef, A few points…

all strings in twig templates are written in SR

Usually, strings in Twig that need to be translated have a dotted notation, like {{ 'THEMENAME.TOPIC.TITLE'|t }}.
In the language.yaml file you would then have:

en:
  THEMENAME:
     TOPIC:
        TOPIC: The title of the topic
sr: 
  THEMENAME:
     TOPIC:
        TOPIC: Наслов теме

You say your strings are in Serbian. How do your Twig strings look like?

I suppose it does that because no sr.yaml language file is present since I don’t need to translate strings that are already in that language.

Usually, a theme/plugin makes use of a language.yaml file which contains the strings that need to be translated as shown above.

Only when overriding translations provided by the theme/plugin one can use files like user/languages/sr.yaml which contain the strings to be overridden.
Are you overriding translations provided by the theme/plugin?

Remarks like “all strings in twig templates are written in SR” and “no sr.yaml language file is present” are smells of a bad multilanguage infra structure.

As a kind request, please improve legibility by formatting code or yaml snippets using triple backticks.

@pamtbaau

You say your strings are in Serbian. How do your Twig strings look like?

I am aware that strings usually have dotted notation in twig but I tried to bypass this and hardcode strings directly in twig. (maybe not smartest idea)
Then I translated whole string in other language files eg: en.yaml:

"Наслов теме": "The title of the topic"

What happens is that even when I’m on SR version of page this is still translated to EN when I expect to remain untranslated. That’s why I wrotte that I suppose it automatically translates to EN when no SR.yaml is present.
I have configured default locale to SR and default lang to SR.

I don’t want to further overcomplicate things, I will find solution with better practice. Just wanted to check if this is something thats related to config or just how things works.

Thanks again!