How do add a Background Image in Grav?

I know it seems like a simple question but I can’t seem to find a way to do it.

I have the theme “gateway” installed:

For some reason, the heading image doesn’t appear it should be, by default, of a mountain…

In addition to this, how would I go about editing the “some text widget” paragraph seen in the picture?

Thanks

@DonaldTrump I haven’t worked with Gateway but did take a look for you…

• Header image not shown
    Did you install the skeleton or the theme only? The skeleton is working perfectly OK, but I can imagine the theme alone does not. It is missing the definition of the image to be displayed.

When looking at the templates ‘/user/themes/gateway/templates/partials/header.html.twig’ and ‘header_alt.html.twig’, the url of the background image is defined as:

line 4: url( '{{ theme_url }}/img/{{ site.header.background }}' )

This means the template searches for an image in the ‘/img/’ folder in the template’s path and looks for the filename in property ‘header.background’ which is being defined in file '/user/config/site.yaml`

The file ‘site.yaml’ is created by the skeleton, but not by the theme. So, if you have installed the theme only, you can add the definition for the background image manually by setting the following in ‘/user/config/site.yaml’:

header:
      background: background.jpg

• Editing the 'Some Text Widget’
    The text for this ‘widget’ is hardcoded (…) in template ‘/user/themes/gateway/templates/partials/sidebar.html.twig’, line 19. You can edit the template yourself and change the hardcoded text.

Although it is not likely that the theme will be updated by the authors, changes you make to a template can best be done in an inherited theme. If not, you risk loosing your changes when the themes does get updated.

Again, I haven’t worked with Gateway myself, but this is what I found sofar looking at the code.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your response,

I’ll give that a try!

@donaldtrump I have added a little advise in my answer:

Although it is not likely that the theme will be updated by the authors, changes you make to a template can best be done in an inherited theme. If not, you risk loosing your changes when the themes does get updated.

Thanks, I am currently trying to add a custom hero image but I’m not sure where to put the file.

I understand that I have to put: hero_image: <NAME>in the YAML file but I’m not sure where this YAML file is and I don’t know where to put my image with the custom name.

Could you help me?

Thanks.

@DonaldTrump Using your <NAME> as filename for the background image, the following files/locations should be used:

• The reference to the image file should be defined in ‘/user/config/site.yaml’, using:
    header:
      background: <NAME>

• The image file itself should be located in folder: ‘/user/themes/gateway/img/<NAME>’

By the way, a lot more is defined in ‘/user/config/site.yaml’ and used by the theme. You might consider downloading the skeleton for Gateway and have a look at it.

Hope this helps.

Hello pamtbaau,

Thank you for trying to help me.

I still can’t seem to get it to work! My “user/config/site.yaml” looks like this:

title: Cherrie
default_lang: en
author:
  name: Cherrie
  email: default@gmail.com
taxonomies:
  - category
  - tag
metadata:
  description: 'Grav is an easy to use, yet powerful, open source flat-file CMS'
summary:
  enabled: true
  format: short
  size: 300
  delimiter: '==='
blog:
  route: /blog
header:
  background: hero-bg.jpg

I’m not using the Gateway theme anymore by the way.

My homepage just shows a hero white page with text.

My “user/themes/quark/images” directory looks like this:

Thanks.

@DonaldTrump It’s not necessary to change the ‘SOME.TEXT.WIDGET’ in … sidebar.html.twig.

The best way is to make use of the »/user/themes/mytheme/languages.yaml« file to change the text to be displayed. If it is not yer there, copy from you main theme (in my case: /user/theme/Antimatter/languages.yaml)

Hope that helps.
Kind regards

Same is valid for the SEARCH and the ARCHIVES plugins.