I’ve got a working site on Bluehost - no problems but I tried to do a local installation on a Windows 10 machine running IIS and I ran into a brick wall.
Steps I took to solve the problem:
- Too many to list - but I think I ran in circles at stages
- The basics were installed IIS with PHP5.6.22
- Unzipped the core + admin into my wwwroot folder - pointed the browser, but no success (my head is spinning so I cannor remember all the error messages anymore)
- I placed a phpinfo.php file in the root and executed it just to ensure that php was running - no problem there
- Trying to run index.php gave no joy. It would seem that the file was not there for all that the browser cared
- I then played around setting with permissions with iCalcs - I tried various things, I’m not sure exactly any more, but the php error log file showed something about not having permission to create folders - so I sorted that out
- Eventually I ended up with some obnoxious error, where the brower would change to localhost/admin (after entering “localhost”) and report that the folder did not exist, w hich was verified by my own inspection. But it is not supposed to exist - checked my other working installation on Bluehost.
- I studied the php.ini file all 2000 lines of it to see where the problem lay. It must have something to do with paths, redirecting URLs. I saw something about the web.config for IIS but I wasn’t sure how to use it.
- After many hours (trying different settings with php.ini) I decided to do some research as to how the web.config file should be used and where its location should be.
- Copied it into the root of my local site and EUREKA!!!